Wednesday, September 23, 2009

J.D. Sallinger and His Revenge of the Teenage Heartthrob

So I'm scrolling through the Wikipedia entry for Catcher in the Rye (yes, it's come to that) to check up a small fact (the year it came out, '51, if you must know). I stumbled upon this besmirching buried in the "In other work" category:

The Catcher in the Rye was cited in the Jonas Brother song "6 Minutes", saying: "Sometimes I feel like the catcher in the rye/ Sometimes I wish that I could catch her eye/ Sometimes I wish that I could be that guy"


Who writes this crap? I mean, do they make it up on the bus or backstage before the concert?

You know what would have been the ultimate prank by author J.D. Salinger, the ultimate jab at the American literati that's whined about his seclusion for decades? If he would have picked that occasion to pop up, when the fucking Jonas Brothers incorporate his classic of American literature in their bullshit song about ... dry-humping, or heavy petting, or what have you. Ohhh!

He'd literally shit-eating-grin himself to death after that.

(P.S. I'm not sure I could read it anymore. I'm afraid I'd feel old and washed-up or something.)

No comments:

Post a Comment