Tuesday, October 6, 2009

How Near, How Far, How Lost They All Are

Why Obama is Bush when it comes to terror policy and executive power, by Glenn Greenwald (read it all if you can).

It's right in front of us, but too many refuse to believe it, or acknowledge its existence. Obama's not even a liberal. Some very dangerous precedents set by Bush are being validated by someone who many believed was real Change. Voters of Obama were in three main camps, I think: Some had the faith, some were highly skeptical but would never vote for a Republican and others just wanted to get Bush out (That's me) and say if this guy's high claims can be matched, that's extra pudding on top.

But for me, the events and feelings caused by the Bush administration will never leave my brain. I've said it before, but I am a child of George W. Bush's America. Those were formative years, times I will never forget. That power was more influential in me than the election of Barack Obama. While they certainly complement each other in unequivocal ways, my astonishment and disgust during the Bush administration will affect me for the rest of my life. Period.

Update: 5:ll - The White House is bringing members of Congress into the White House to share their thoughts on what to do in Afghanistan. I'll give that a sarcastic "fascinating." But the last paragraph is a conversation starter, if not baldly troubling:

White House officials say Obama is not focusing on antiwar protesters -- neither the more than 60 who were arrested yesterday at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue nor the handful outside the White House gates today -- or on a MoveOn email petition circulating asking him for a clear military exit strategy.


How will he handle growing antiwar pressure from the left? This will be the first time he's had to deal with THE issue for a modern American president: a flagging, drawn out, costly war on your watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment