Sunday, February 7, 2010

Clark Griswold is not walking through that door

Is it just me, or did Chevy Chase age pretty quickly?

He and Beverly D'Angelo appeared in an ad during the Super Bowl for something called Homeaway.com, which appears to be a site that offers properties to rent to vacationers or out-of-towners on a short-term basis, obviously. Though I've seen him a time or two on Community (NBC Thursday night), so I've seen him recently and, yes of course, I noticed he's gotten older and gained a solid amount of weight. But it wasn't until this ad, where he's really stretching to rekindle that Vacation Clark Griswold magic, but comes off silly and contrived. I don't know if he doesn't care, or is just not a good actor anymore or what. It's almost as if he's reluctantly doing this all for money. Maybe that's unfair though. I still enjoy him and wish him the best, but there's a certain quality to it all.

And Beverly D'Angelo, who didn't speak in the ad I believe, looks almost exactly the same as 10 or 15 years ago thanks heavy plastic surgery, it seems. So she is definitely there for the money. "Just come in and look concerned and vaguely humorous as your well-intentioned, but incompetent husband gets taken for a ride at a hotel. That'll do."

As for Homeaway.com, is this the kind of economy to be pushing a service hooking up vacationers to rented property? Maybe I don't what the hell I'm talking about, but it seems to be a service aimed at the affluent.

No comments:

Post a Comment