Saturday, January 2, 2010

Sound of Silver, talk to me

I'm a little late on this, as it's Jan. 2, 2010, but my pick for best album (and most profound) is LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver, 2007. Note: That is before I think hard and revert back to the prophetic Kid A from 2000.

My favorite track on Sound of Silver is North American Scum. The title says a lot, but the song is equal parts antagonistic, apologetic and (oddly) appreciative of the ugliness the world sees in North Americans.



This album, I believe, encompasses so much of the melancholy and desperation (in the form of "dance-punk" music) of the post-9/11 world, when two wars raged and next to no one could keep up with the massive transformations happening around the world. If Kid A was Radiohead's prediction for the times, Sound of Silver was the representative of the fallout.

No comments:

Post a Comment