Tuesday, November 17, 2009

An electoral virus

Ever really thought deeply about what it would take to achieve something seemingly unreachable (reasons: will, talent, intelligence, money) and, if only for fun, considered that it might be possible? That anyone in the age of social networking and Internet domination could make a work of art out of how to inject oneself into the national conversation? No. Yes. Whatever?

I think I could get 1% of the popular vote in the next presidential election. I know what you're saying: John, quit huffin' that gas can and get rererere-real. Sure.

But 1% of the country is 3 million (I believe we're still at 300 million as a country). And, of course, not every adult votes. About 122.4 million, or 54% of the eligible population, voted. So that means roughly 1.25 million is 1% of the vote, ultimately.

I could drum that up with a cleverly self-marketed campaign via Facebook/Twitter/YouTube/Wiki-Wiki and such. Boom, 1.25 million.

Of course, there's the ballot issue. But you say from the beginning, "Write me in. Write me in all over the nation. Make a joke out of it. A vote for John is a win for you."

This might take a little more web savvy than I seem to be giving it credit for, but screw it. Maybe a group of people good with many different web platforms could pull something off. A comedy act, possibly? "Viral gone heywire!" That's what they'll call it on CNN.

No comments:

Post a Comment